16 janvier 2006

The blue mountains

I know I have not written in English for a long time, so the resume of Saturday is in English!
So I decide to spend one my last we here in the Blue Mountains. There are called so, due to the essence of eucalypts who gets out of trees when the temperature get warmer. And that’s true. When I arrived Saturday morning around eleven I thought it was just a legend of old time. But when the sun begin to warm the temperature, the mountains becomes really blue, you can see on few photos.
The mountains are located about 150km west of Sydney, it takes 2h with train. I jump on the train in Sydney Central at 8.18am and arrive in Katoomba which is the ‘more important city’ in there at 10am. I look for a backpacker where I can spend the night, book a bed in a 6beds dorm and take just the stuff I need for the day. The second step was to confirm my booking for the canyoning on Sunday.
Then I begin walking. First of all I follow the road signs indicating the Information Centre. It was about 20 min walk from the centre of Katoomba, just near the 3sisters. I was not expected to see that because I tough it was a bloody long way and needed to take a bus or something like that… I find a map in the buro and choose a track which was not too long I don’t wanted to have my legs painful for the canyoning! I begin to walk near the 3 sisters, begin to step down a few stairs and finally end up at the foot of them ! The stairs there are called the ‘Giant Stairs’… I don’t know how much there is. It takes me about 20min to be at the bottom, they are very steep. When I was there, my legs trembling as when, when I was younger I do rock climbing and that you stay for a long time at the same place, it trembles and you can control that! That’s awful…
I keep going to Leura Falls thru the Leura Forest which is a sort of ‘normal’ rainforest. I overtake a few people and a beautiful Lyrebird. There was lots and lots of waterfalls compared to the other place I already was. But the altitude is different as well (~900m) and that’s more far of the seashore.
Arrived to the falls, the track I like to take was closed because of the rain of the last week, and so very slippery! Saturday was amazing, blue sky, just a few clouds by place. I’m glad to be in the forest, because it was not so hot (but just enough to drink about 1,75l of water in the afternoon!). So I have to walk up other stairs to be back at the top of the cliffs. It’s possible to see on photos there is a sort of natural barrier.
I was begin to starve but I don’t wanted to stop in the middle of the way up because I was not sure to can to the rest after lunch so I keep going to the top. I had lunch in a lookout wit an amazing view on the mountains becoming blue…
When I want to get off, I see something black in the fingers of my right feet. I had no closed shoes just walking summer shoes. At the beginning I don’t really know what it was, but I can’t remove it and I begin to panic a little bit. When it finally get off there is blood everywhere on my fingers and on my shoe. A nasty, big fat, massive (I’m not lying big as a third of one of my hand finger) leech. I try to put water on it (but not too much because it was my drinking water and I had already not enough!) but the blood wont stop. And the blood on my shoe with the heat was sticky, it was really not easy to walk with that, so I find on the bottom of my backpack a old Kleenex and do a sort of pansement. It work pretty well. Then I walk back on the top to the Eco point (3sisters) but it was only 3pm so I decide to go a little bit further the other way near the Katoomba Falls. This one is really much impressive that the Leura one. At 4.30 the sky become cloudy, I begin to walk back. I was back at the backpack at 5.30 to have a nice shower and some stretching. Then I look for some food because I had nothing to eat tonight and tomorrow morning. In all the other backpack I was they provide breakfast but not this one. And sunday was probably not the day to have no breakfast… So I round the city (about 20min) and finally find a Coles still open… sweet!
Back at home I just stand on my bed to read a little bit but fell asleep! I wake up at 8.00, have some food, read a little bit and sleep at 9.00.
During the night, I eared some (drunk) people singing under my window, but also that it was raining… noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

A+ pour +

Aucun commentaire: